Warning messageMean Menu style requires jQuery library version 1.7 or higher, but you have opted to provide your own library. Please ensure you have the proper version of jQuery included. (note: this is not an error)
Avocado & Fava Bean Salad
- 1/2 cup fresh Fava beans, shelled and peeled
- 1 medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups sunflower sprouts
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Juice ½ small lemon
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup large shavings of Parmesan
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare a small pot of salted boiling water and a small bowl of ice water.
- Drop the fava beans into the boiling water and blanch for 3 minutes.
- Remove the beans and immediately immerse in the ice water to stop the cooking process. Keep in the ice water long enough to cool completely, about 15 seconds.
- Drain and place on paper towels to dry.
- Thinly slice the fennel (using a mandolin, if you have one).
- Place the fennel slices into a large bowl with the sunflower sprouts, chickpeas, and fava beans.
- Drizzle the salad with olive oil, the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper.
- Toss the salad, then add the avocado, almonds, and Parmesan shaving and gently toss again.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
Recipe by Blue Zones.