All Leaders will receive the following:
- Access to the comprehensive JUST RUN website and the many features of the program, along with information for children, parents, teachers and group leaders on leading active and healthy lifestyles
- A password for using the JUST RUN across the USA/Europe features of the program
- A colorful JUST RUN poster for the classroom
- A JUST RUN Leader Manual
- Online and phone training
- Printable online mileage incentive cards available on the JUST RUN Forms page
Monterey and other designated county leaders will also receive the following from the JUST RUN program:
- Earned incentive awards for participating children in grades K – 8 will be sent upon request. The incentives include a Mile Marker chart, bookmark, and plastic foot when your students begin the program, followed by mileage tokens when they reach their goals of 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 50, 75, and 100 miles.
- A 30 inch ball-chain necklace will be sent along with the same number of designated #5 tokens so that the children can proudly wear and keep track of their earned mileage incentives.
- The children receive wristbands when they reach accumulated mileage of 25, 50, 75, and 100.
- JUST RUN shirt awards are provided for children accumulating 50 miles of running/walking and have completed 26 Just Deeds, the good citizenship component of the program.
- Incentives for high school programs: Students will receive a Be a Champion card from USA Track and Field when they begin. When they reach 50 miles they will receive Go for the Gold JUST RUN shoe laces, followed by an entry for the Big Sur International Marathon’s 5K or 3K when they accumulate 100 miles.
- Dependent upon locale, informational school visits for teachers/leaders to explain the program's features and how to get started can be arranged, as well as training sessions for leaders in JUST RUN website use and program implementation.
- JUST RUN shirts for group leaders ae provided upon request.
- JUST RUN jackets for returning school coordinators/leaders after one year of successful implementation.
The website provides all of the information necessary to set the program in motion. Also included are promotional materials, all necessary and helpful forms, fitness tips for students and volunteer leaders, diet and nutrition advice, activities for students, a downloadable running log, and a way to compare your school or group’s progress with others in the program. The Quick Start Guide was created to let you easily start the program.
Individually the children experience the benefits of physical activity and stretching, progress at their own speed in a safe, non-competitive environment, and experience pride in personal accomplishment and goal setting. Most important, they learn life-long positive habits while having FUN!
Run Across the USA and Run Across Europe allow classes to cooperatively accumulate mileage in “virtual runs” that are tracked on the website. Hundreds of geographic, historical, nutritional, and fun locations are web-linked throughout these educational journeys. This program feature lends itself for use as a history or geography lesson; the children can study the locations that their group virtually passes through on their way across the USA and through Europe. The children also develop a sense of pride as they contribute their personal mileage to assist the group in reaching a common goal.
The leader records individual mileage and the group's progress is automatically reflected on the group's map. The main screen for Run Across the USA and Europe shows the total number of children enrolled, the number of Just Deeds earned, and the total number of miles run by all JUST RUN participants.
The following web page shows an example of a child and his school/group, indicating the total number of JUST DEEDS and miles run for the whole group, and also for that individual child. You can also see the path across the United States, with their current position marked by the JUST RUN shoe in the vicinity of Chicago.
The next screen shows the links associated with the locations through which the children have passed on their journey.
The last screen shows the JUST DEEDS log and running log for this child, Joel.
Instructions for entering a child to your group, as well as recording mileage and Just Deeds, are found here.
In conjunction with running and physical activity, the Just Deeds program promotes good citizenship and good deeds. The Just Deeds form should be returned to the leader when completed. Congratulations Certificates are provided when students accumulate mileage totals up to the marathon distance of 26 miles and have performed 26 acts of good citizenship. At 50 miles, a JUST RUN tee-shirt is awarded to participants in Monterey and other designated counties. Leaders in other locales are encouraged to seek funding to provide shirts when these goals are met. Use the Just Deeds form to record the student's Just Deeds.
The Just Taste program encourages healthy eating. The website also offers a vast amount of nutritional information. Leaders are encouraged to collaborate with local health organizations and nutritional experts to achieve health and fitness goals.
This feature will enable you to clearly see the number of miles and deeds you have logged for each child in your group and when they have reached designated milestone achievements. The Incentive Tracking Feature in the Run Across the USA online program will assist you in tallying and ordering earned awards (if you are located in a JUST RUN sponsored locale) or for recognizing and distributing personalized awards to the children in your group.
Once you have entered your class/group names into the database, the names will also be listed in the Incentive Award feature.
- Click on the menu item Incentive Awards at the bottom of your class list. You will see each of your children’s names listed on this form.
- When you enter miles and deeds, those numbers will be listed in the Progress column.
- As the children reach each designated milestone, a gray circle will appear.
- When you are ready to order, or to provide incentives to your students, scroll to the bottom of the page. The children deserving the award for each designated goal accomplishment will be listed.
- Click on the box, click to update. Print the list that appears. In designated locales (Monterey, Santa Clara and Santa Cruz counties in CA) order the listed items by contacting the JUST RUN director. In locales not sponsored by the JUST RUN program, recognize your students with your personalized awards when they reach designated accomplishments.
- When you return to the menu item Incentive Awards, you will see that a green check mark will indicate that the awards have been ordered, or that you have distributed your personalized awards and that “all awards are up to date.”
- As you continue to enter miles and deeds for your students, additional gray circles will appear as mileage/deeds are logged.
Just Race – The Big Sur International Marathon provides funds to Monterey County schools based on school participation in the On the Bay 3K Run on the Saturday prior to marathon day in late April. Another 3K is held prior to the BSIM half marathon in November. We are encouraging and actively working with other race directors to add fun runs and races for children to each adult race and to establish separate children only races and fun runs. Check in your locale for fun kids' races to supplement and motivate your runners.