Warning messageMean Menu style requires jQuery library version 1.7 or higher, but you have opted to provide your own library. Please ensure you have the proper version of jQuery included. (note: this is not an error)
Black-Eyed Peas & Okra
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 small bay leaves, preferably fresh
- 2 cups black-eyed peas
- 1-pound fresh okra, stem ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add broth and bay leaves; bringing to a boil.
- Stir in peas.
- Reduce heat; simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Add okra, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
Recipe by EatingWell.