Warning messageMean Menu style requires jQuery library version 1.7 or higher, but you have opted to provide your own library. Please ensure you have the proper version of jQuery included. (note: this is not an error)
- 2 lbs eggplant (2 large eggplants)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 4 oz. of olive oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans of tomatoes
- 2 tsp of fresh cilantro, minced
- 3 tsp of fresh parsley, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp fresh mint, minced
- 5 oz. of Greek yogurt
- 1 oz. of roasted pine nuts
- Cut eggplants into cubes, sprinkle with a generous amount of sea salt and set aside. After 30 minutes, rinse and drain well then pat dry with a kitchen towel.
- Heat 2 tsp of oil in a large pan and sauté eggplant. Once finished remove eggplant from pan and let cool.
- Heat additional 2 tsp of oil and sauté the onion for about a minute.
- Add cinnamon and half of the garlic.
- After another minute add the tomatoes.
- Finally, add the eggplant and let simmer for about one hour, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Mix in half of the cilantro and parsley and let cool.
- Mix lemon juice, 2 tsp of olive oil, remaining garlic and mint with the Greek yogurt.
- Mix pine nuts into the yogurt.
- Serve the cooled eggplant salad with a generous dollop of the yogurt dressing and garnish with remaining herbs.
Recipe by Blue Zones.